Junakalusto Oy has procured in total 81 city trains i.e. Sm5 trains for the commuter train traffic of the metropolitan area.
Sm5 city trains were delivered by a Swiss company Stadler Bussnang AG. The brand name given by Stadler to these EMUs is Flirt that is an abbreviation for Fast Light Innovative Regional Train.
The new commuter trains improve the travelling comfort in the commuter traffic of the metropolitan area significantly. It is easy to access the low-floor train also by passengers travelling with a pram or bicycle or using a wheelchair. Moving inside the train is also easy because the trains do not have doors between the vestibules and passenger compartments. It is easy to find a vacant seat in the spacious interior.
The commuter trains are air-conditioned and have electronic displays for passenger information. Air curtains have been installed in the door-side panels and they operate in cold weather. Air curtains prevent ingress of cold air to the vestibule when the entrance doors of the train are open. Additionally, the trains are equipped with a heat recovery system that is unique in Finland.
The length of the Sm5 train is 75 metres. A train in operation can be composed of three train units at the maximum.
In total, more than thousand Flirt trains delivered by Stadler are in operation worldwide, mainly in different parts of Europe. Junakalusto Oy’s train unit No.58 was the thousandth Flirt train delivered by Stadler. The train has been modified regarding the track gauge and technology so that it fits for the track network and demanding weather conditions in Finland. Stadler has used also Finnish expertise in the modification work since the beginning of the design.
- bright, passenger-friendly interior with customized design
- excellent visibility trough the whole passenger area
- low-floor section > 70%
- passenger information system
- spacious multipurpose area in entrance section
- 6 doors on each side for fast passenger ingress/egress
- air-conditioned passenger and driver compartments
- vacuum toilet system, also suitable for persons with reduced mobility
- ergonomically designed driver's cab
- fibre class reinforced front section
- automatic coupler
- welded superstructure built with extruded aluminium profiles
- air-suspended motor and trailer bogies
- redundant traction chain; 4 converters with water-cooled IGBT-modules
- vehicle control system with train bus and diagnostic computer
- CCTV system
- multiple traction, maximum 3 train units
|Customer||Junakalusto Oy, Finland|
|Operation area||Train traffic in the metropolitan area and in southern Finland|
|Track gauge||1‘524 mm|
|Type code||Sm 5|
|Supply voltage||25 kV, 50 Hz|
|Axle arrangement||Bo' 2'2'2' Bo'|
|Number of trains||81|
|Putting into service||2009/2010|
|Standing capacity||(4 pers./m2) 323 (according to DIN 25008)|
|Floor height||Low floor 600 mm
High floor 1‘120 mm
|Door width||1‘300 mm|
|Longitudinal strength||1‘500 kN|
|Overall length||75‘200 mm|
|Vehicle width||3‘200 mm|
|Vehicle height||4‘400 mm|
|Weight in running order||132 t|
|Bogie wheelbase||Motor bogie 2‘700 mm
Trailer bogie 2‘750 mm
|Powered wheel diameter, new||860 mm|
|Trailer wheel diameter, new||800 mm|
|Continuous power at wheel||2‘000 kW|
|Maximum power at wheel||2‘600 kW|
|Starting traction effort||200 kN (47 km/h)|
|Starting acceleration||1.2 m/s2|
|Maximum operating speed||160 km/h|