Pääkaupunkiseudun Junakalusto Oy is a purchasing unit that operates according to EU's public procurement legislation. It was established to procure and lease out the new rolling stock needed in the traffic managed by HSL.
Junakalusto Oy's mission is to take care of procuring trains skilfully and efficiently. The company will invite tenders for trains and financing. Junakalusto Oy is responsible for the management of the life-cycle of the rolling stock it owns and it also procures the maintenance on its responsibility.
A long-term procurement strategy and large enough orders will allow the company to obtain the best possible terms and reduce overall costs.
The company will lease out the procured train units by a long-term leasing contract to HSL (Helsinki Regional Transport Authority), which will in turn supply the train units to the operator.
Pääkaupunkiseudun Junakalusto Oy will not yield profits, but the benefits its produces will result in lower costs in the commuter traffic of the metropolitan area organized by HSL.
- Procures commuter trains needed in the HSL traffic
- Leases the trains to HSL
- Procures for the trains the maintenance that is on its responsibility
- Plans and organizes public transport (also train traffic)
- Provides the operator with trains in the rolling stock company concept
- VR-Group Ltd acts as the operator of HSL traffic currently
- The operator produces transport services
- The operator is responsible for the operation and daily maintenance of the trains
The shares of Junakalusto Oy are owned by the municipalities in the metropolitan area: Helsinki (49,5 %), Vantaa (27,5 %), Espoo (19,5 %) and Kauniainen (3,5 %).
The board of Junakalusto Oy controls the interests of the owners. The board has not been elected on political grounds but the members are experts of rail transport. A representative of the municipalities acts as chairman. Link to the members of the board (list of names)
Junakalusto Oy has three employees one of which works part-time. The services offered by the company:
- Expert services related to train technology
- Judicial services and services related to financing
- Bookkeeping and accounting services
- Lease contracts of rolling stock
Members of the board
City of Helsinki
Chief Financial Officer, Saxholm Tuula, chairperson
P.O Box 20
FI-00099 HELSINGIN KAUPUNKI
City of Espoo
Deputy Mayor, Isotalo Olli
P.O Box 49
02070 ESPOON KAUPUNKI
City of Kauniainen
Director of Technical and Planning Services, Harju Marianna
City of Vantaa
Deputy Mayor, Penttilä Hannu
FI-01030 VANTAAN KAUPUNKI